Friday, July 24, 2009

Wrapping Up

Hey all. So, I'm wrapping up my fifth trip here in Belize. This past week was intense. The team and I had the project of digging a seven by seven by seven foot hole to serve as the foundation for a bathroom behind a church. This would have been easily accomplished in three days, but for the fact that we were on a mountain. Mountains are made of rocks. Yes. Jackhammer. It was hot. But for me, this past week, the hole wasn't my big project.

I met this family this past week...five kids..Hilberto, Karina, Ricardo, Christina, and Orlando. And their mom, Catalina. Cati's husband just lost his job a while back. This family has nothing. The kids wore the same tattered clothes each day...but they were precious. For some reason they just took to me, and we became friends. I talked to Cati one day, and after some prodding, she shared with me her fears. She's afraid that she won't be able to pay for the kids schooling this fall. They have nothing, and she needs to buy uniforms. The kids aren't allowed to go school without uniforms. By the grace and goodness of God, we were able to pull together enough money so that all the kids can go to school this fall! I'm so excited. These were Cati's words: "I just want them to be able to read and write. I can't. My husband can't. I want them to read the Bible, and get a good job. And have a better life than this."

I gave the oldest boy, Hilberto, a Bible later. I've never seen a kid so attached, excited about, or proud of his bible. He wrapped it in a towel to bring it to church to keep in nice.

This was so good for me. People are so good. To touch them and know them. Trips can start to feel routine if all I focus on are the projects and logistics. But, when I sit with the people and know them, and listen...nothing can be routine...everything is suddenly full of pain and reality, and joy and hope. God is moving!

2 comments:

  1. You're gonna be back in not too long!!!

    It's continually encrouaging to read this blog.

    Still praying!

    Glen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Han,
    I'm praying that you "finish strong" and "finish well." This is possible because His power is perfected in weakness. Your weakness as you near the finish line will be the Lord's greatest opportunity to use you to the uttermost!! I love, love, love you and miss you beyond what words could say. I counting the days of your return!! ~mom

    ReplyDelete