Friday, July 3, 2009

Breathing

So! I am at the completion of my second trip. It was a very trying trip. We had three groups come together to complete a project. The weather was hot, the work was hard, and there were a lot of obstacles. Last night, I felt pretty dejected and exhausted...I hadn't been in the Word yet and so it was late, and everyone else was asleep but I knew I needed to just listen to God. As I opened my Bible, I read in John, in the last chapter, about the disciples having fished all night and caught nothing. I sort of felt like that. And then Jesus comes and tells them to cast their net again. AGAIN. Even after nothing all night. To cast the net again so that he can work. Only when we cast our net under his guidance and power, can we really do anything.

In regards to our progress, the roof on the church was a success and the yard for the parsonage got completely cleared. It was a mess tho! Our VBS resulted in some wonderful relationships with the kids. One little girl especially for me. Her name is Kiyana. She wrote me a note the last day, telling me how much she loved VBS and me. I was so humbled by her kindness and sweetness. I want to be kind and sweet like her. Like a child. She has a sister and they live in BZ city, and I'm going to try to visit her before I leave.

Another incredible thing that happenned last week--I was reunited with my family from last summer. Last summer my crew built a house for a family in the Poverty Alleviation Projects in BZ city, and I had been waiting to go see them because I was so nervous and afraid that they wouldn't remember me. But I went anyways. It took me a while to find the home...but I finally did. I pulled up and was really afraid. I looked around...everything looked the same, except the house we had built was decorated. But the shacks in shambles were still everywhere, trash and kids everywhere...but I got out of the car. Thoughts were racing thru my head. What if they don't remember me? This will be lame...but they did. The moment I stepped out of the car, the mother jumped up and ran to me and started crying. Then I started crying! She said that they missed me so much and they didn't think I would come back and that they talk about me all the time! Then her kids saw me and man...then the waterworks started. Vanessa, Jessica, and Marvelli...oh man. It was beautiful because we have a real relationship. I feel like I am part of their family. That's what missions is about. Growing the family of God. Teaching people to live in beautiful comunity together. It's hard. But reunions like that...no matter how blubberingly tearful they are...make it worth it. God is at work.

1 comment:

  1. All I have that I can even say is this: How awesome. How awesome is God. How awesome, the fact that He allows us to build relationships like that. How awesome, that He allows us opportunities to go and do His work, and make an impact in other people's lives, in such a way that when you go back a year later, they can't hold back the tears because they get to see you again.

    The only thing in this world worthy of awe, is God. Nothing else is deserving of it. I've realized over the last few years that after experiencing God, it's impossible for anything else to even hold that status. God is all that is awesome.

    Keep going Hannah. Don't let yourself be discouraged. Remember that He's with you. You're a light to the people you're around. Forgive me for this slightly Sunday-school statement but, keep letting that light shine!

    Praying for you everyday.
    Glen.

    ReplyDelete